Are you a storyteller who wants to make a difference for African Diaspora? The State of African Diaspora is seeking a Communications and Events Assistant to work day to day with the global African diaspora team, getting to know our clients and programs in order to share authentic stories about our work. Grow your career at CV as part of a passionate Advancement team responsible for Communications, Events, Grants, and Volunteers.
Specifically, this position will manage and encourage online communications including social media platforms and website management, and mission related story telling.
Position Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop relationships with the African Diaspora worldwide, to help narrate, communicate and to maintain an up to date knowledge of events, accomplishments and personal stories.
- Create and schedule content, manage interactions, and present monthly tracking data on SOAD’s social media platforms including Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and LinkedIn.
- Coordinate workshops and trainings to work with SOAD network and members on story telling techniques.
- Compile announcements and edit weekly internal email communication (SOAD Weekly).
- Develop slides of accomplishments and scheduled activities for weekly distribution.
- Compile stories, edit, and design monthly internal newsletter (SAOD Happenings).
- Assist in database management by updating records as needed.
- Attend (when possible) agency events and volunteer activities as needed and capture content (photography and video) with both social media and print publications in mind.
- Assist with creating and reviewing print and digital publications as needed.
- Assist in maintaining organization website and that of SOAD’s strategic partners as needed.
- Other department-wide duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree with coursework in marketing, communications, social media/website or similar with 1-3 years’ experience in marketing, public relations, and/or social media and website management is preferred. Candidates may also have a HS degree with 4 years of experience in marketing, communications, or social media, or an AA with 2 years experiences in marketing, communications or social media.
- Experience developing and using social media platforms and web management; including creating content and tracking data metrics required.
- Basic web design knowledge with WordPress or a similar program required
- Database management, Microsoft Office applications required.
- Experience with Adobe InDesign, CANVA or similar graphic design program preferred.
- Strong communication and organizational skills.
- Excellent writing and editing skills.
- Availability to work a flexible schedule (nights and weekends) on occasion.